Book Review | Words in Deep Blue

4:30 AM


synopsis.

This is a love story.

It's the story of Howling Books, where readers write letters to strangers, to lovers, to poets.

It's the story of Henry Jones and Rachel Sweetie. They were best friends once, before Rachel moved to the sea. 

Now, she's back, working at the bookstore, grieving for her brother Cal and looking for the future in the books people love, and the words they leave behind.
 (Good Reads

my thoughts.

This is just a beautiful book about loss, friendship and love set amongst the beautiful backdrop of a used book store with a wonderful Letter Library. Cath Crowley's writing style is easy to read and I found myself immersed in the story and invested in all the characters. I felt their losses and success (however large or small) and couldn't put the book down until I found out how it ended.

Aside from the relationships - how they’re built up, broken down and rebuilt - my favourite part of Words in Deep Blue was the Howling Books bookshop. This bookshop is a character all on its own and the way that the Jones family view this used bookstore, and the way its loyal customers come and spend day after day there, is just magical. And let’s not forget the Letter Library, that beautiful corner of Howling Books that houses books for people to write in the margins!

This is a book full of beautiful writing, characters that feel real and situations that make you want to laugh and cry. This is a book I will be rereading for sure. And writing notes in. (Because how can you not?)

 I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

author // Cath Crowley
publisher // Pan Macmillan Australia
genre // Young Adult, Contemporary
publication date // August, 2016
format // Paperback



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've seen many great reviews on this book before, but never got the chance to pick it up! I think I might put it on hold from the library later this week!

    ReplyDelete