Book Review | Grave Surprise

5:05 PM


synopsis.

The official graphic novel adaptation of Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris, the author of The Southern Vampire Mysteries! 

Harper Connelly, a psychic capable of finding dead people and reading their last thoughts, discovers a grave in Memphis with two bodies: a man centuries dead, and a girl recently deceased. How the two bodies ended up together would be perplexing enough... but the sudden appearance of a third body the next morning makes this a mystery that perhaps even Connelly can't solve! 


my thoughts.

Before reading Grave Surprise I had not read the original novel of this book by Charlaine Harris, however I am familiar with her Southern Vampire Mysteries series and enjoyed her writing. I’m also a fan of graphic novel adaptations of books so I thought this would be a great way to see whether or not I would enjoy reading the Harper Connelly series. 

I’m so glad that I read this graphic novel. Despite being the second book in a series, you can definitely read it as a standalone. There is a brief introduction to Harper Connelly and her abilities - sensing the last thoughts of dead people - giving the reader enough backstory to begin, before jumping straight into the action. We’re quickly embroiled in the mystery of a missing girl found dead in someone else’s grave. 

I love a good mystery story and this definitely provides that, with enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages to find out what will unfold next. There’s enough back story woven into the main plot to give the reader insight into the main character, Harper, and create a sympathetic, strong lead.

I rated Grave Surprise 4 out of 5 stars and I will definitely be checking out the novels soon. This graphic novel is due to be released on December 27, 2016.

title // Charlaine Harris’ Grave Surprise
author // Charlaine Harris
publisher // Diamond Book Distributors
genre // Comics & Graphic Novels
publication date // December 27, 2016

format // Hardcover

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review from the publisher via Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


You Might Also Like

0 comments